Sunday, March 16, 2014

I'll take my ashes "to go"

Drive-through service to offer Ash Wednesday service | Maryland News - WBAL Home

It is hard to believe that winter term is almost over and that in just a few days I will be flying home for spring break before heading off to London. I have to admit though, I will be very happy when my final papers and exams are done, and I can spend some quality time with my family. I have really enjoyed this Apple, Google, Facebook class and I enjoy telling my parents what I learn in the class and hear their thoughts. My parents are technophobes and technologically impaired...to the point where they still do not know how to highlight, copy, or paste. Anyway, when I told my dad what I was writing on for my final paper, he told me he had heard that for Ash Wednesday, certain churches were offering a “to go” service, so that people did not have to take the time out of their busy schedule to go into the church and get their ashes. People will be able to stop by, say a quick prayer, and go on their merry way. The church is hoping it will give people a chance to participate in Ash Wednesday who might otherwise ignore the holiday. Robert Bellah would say that this is expected in a culture like America where everything including religion and religious holidays should be catered to the individual's needs. In my opinion, having this option, is almost hypocritical. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent and is a time for the individual to reflect on their transgressions and that one must repent for their sins. The Ashes are a physical reminder to repent. So if an individual decides they are too busy to go to the Ash Wednesday service, what are the odds that this individual is going to take the time to reflect on their sins? To me, having this service is just a way for the individual to feel less guilty about not going to church. It shows they can do only the bear minimum. Maybe the individual should add "not going to church on Ash Wednesday and getting drive-thru ashes" to their list of sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment